Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Magickal Fusion



Welcome to the world of magick and mayhem

Hm, if I’m not careful I’ll be humming a magickal version of ‘It’s A Small World’! And now you’ll hate me for that tune bouncing around inside your head.

But if you think about it the title works well for the world I’ve created.

I’m an only child so perhaps that’s why world building turns so real for me.

It’s always been difficult for me to describe my world since it resides inside my head. Sort of a special computer that allows me to switch from one world to another. I’m a big fan of The Big Bang Theory and Sheldon has a make-believe world that sometimes I wonder is close to what I do. A very scary thought!

My writing turns into a 3D movie inside my head. I can see the Victorian house Jazz and Krebs share, the color, sights and sounds of the boardwalk where Nick’s office building resides. The funky mountain town Stasi and Blair live in. The desert-like compound Maggie knows as home. Lili’s cozy cottage, the mixture of gothic and modern that’s known as Crying Souls Hospital and Asylum, and the magickal plane of Inderman with everything that tempts the magickal senses.

I wish I could draw because I’d love nothing better than to create my world for others to see. But I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler. My 8th grade art instructor gave me a D even though I flunked the course, because he said he had never failed a student and couldn’t that time. Trust me, you don’t even want to see my stick figures.

So I try to show my world with words and descriptions. I hope you see the characters the way I do, their worlds, and even what goes on around them. That you feel a part of the story and you might even look over your shoulder if a shadow doesn’t appear what it should be or just maybe that cat has a knowing look in her eye.

Is that sparkle in the air a hint of pixie dust or just a trick of sunlight? What about that dog howling? Is it really a dog you hear or something more sinister?

And what about that woman standing behind you at Starbucks? Is there something ‘different’ about her?

That’s how my world works. Anything is possible.

Is that what you want from your world? To do the improbable?

Linda



















No comments:

Post a Comment