Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What Is It About Villains?



They’re the characters we love to hate.

How many villains remain in your mind while the heroes and heroines don’t?

I’ve read that more than one actor and actress prefers playing a villain because they’re so much more fun and many times they can play them over the top.

I’ve always enjoyed seeing what another writer puts into their villains and I love writing them myself.

Just as in acting I like to create over the top villains. One of my favorite villains is Tyge Foulshadow in 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover. He was wealthy, totally disgusting to look at and smell and there was just a lot wrong with him. My editor hated him so much in 50 Ways that she said she didn’t want to see him again. Too bad, I had plans for Master Foulshadow that would have been a lot of fun. Still, maybe I’ll find a way.

But there’s also the handsome and beautiful villains. Ones you wouldn’t expect to find evil residing within. They can be as much fun to write because who would expect a thing of beauty to be so nasty inside?

Then you have the humorous ones. Captain Hook scared to death of the crocodile with the clock in his tummy. Austin Powers’ Dr. Evil and Fat Bastard. All the mind boggling villains who tried to take down Batman, and lost.

One of the most famous villainesses is The Wicked Witch of the West with her black dress, broom, and green skin. With her ominous castle and monkey minions, it was natural she’d inspire fear. But who knew it only took a bucket of water to bring her down.

No wonder we love them. We boo and hiss, laugh, and sometimes shiver with fear. How many worry about the boogeyman that might be hiding in their closet or under their bed?

Tell me how many villains can you name that are unforgettable?

No comments:

Post a Comment