Monday, December 20, 2010

Ebook Monday -- What's In My Nook


I have a variety of books in my Nook. Yes, even my own books. :}

But I thought I’d talk about one of my favorite series. I have so many it wasn’t easy to choose, so I had to go the eeny meeny miny mo route.

The winner is … Simon R Green’s Nightside Series.

My buddy Terey Ramin put me on to these books and I was hooked from the first sentence.

It’s an urban fantasy about a darker side of London called Nightside where PI John Taylor grew up and left with a bullet in him courtesy of bounty hunter Shotgun Suzie aka ‘Oh shit! It’s her!’ He’s gone from five years but returns when a client wants him to go there to retrieve her daughter who was lured to Nightside.

John is more than just your typical gumshoe. He wears a snazzy white trench coat, doesn’t bother with weapons because he has talents that can protect him, and has a gift of gab that has me muttering “I wish I’d thought of that.”

Nightside is a city that most of us wouldn’t even want to visit. Vehicles with a mind of their own where occupants could end up as dinner. Shops that offer goods that could create a variety of nightmares, and we won’t even talk about the clubs. Even the private ones are dangerous.

John also has a quest in finding out the truth about his parents, especially his mother, but no one wants to talk about that. Especially the head security man of Nightside, Walker, who

There’s also a variety of characters in the books that totally boggle the imagination but works perfectly in Nightside. Dead Boy who binds his wounds with duct tape, Razor Eddy, who’s pretty much self-explanatory, Shotgun Suzie who might be considered psycho but loves her weapons, depressed bar owner Alex who offers some drinks no halfway sane person would want, and Walker, the one who keeps Nightside together and battles John every step of the way.

The series is a fast read, keep me going, and have me demanding more. There’s so much in these books I could go on for pages, but I’d rather you find out for yourself. If you love dark urban fantasy with incredible twists and turns you’ll love this series.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Nightside series even I've only read the first two books. Must collect the rest one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping for B&N gift cards for Christmas, so maybe I'll catch up on a couple more books in the series that way. :)

    ReplyDelete