Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Evolution of a Writer







Welcome to my first post at my personal blog. As you can see, I've changed from my first publicity photo.

I thought the best launch post would be about what goes on in a writer over the years.

I loved to write and began when I could hold a crayon. Any story that came into my mind was written down. Many were probably best forgotten. And life took a few curving turns along the way.

I read romances although the only category romances out were Harlequin Romances and Presents. And it was long before I muttered, “I can do this”. My husband just looked at me and said, “then do it.” I’m not one to turn down a dare!

Since my best friend and I were taking a ballet class, I thought how fitting to write about a ballet dancer. When that book was finished I wrote a second romance. Both books were sent to the brand spanking new romance line, Silhouette Books that was looking for new authors for a line that would be launched the following year.

Did I know what I was doing? I could spell, knew my grammar, and punctuation. And I loved telling stories. And surprise, surprise, I got “the call” on my wedding anniversary. Silhouette wanted to buy both books.

That was the beginning of a career that’s taken some interesting twists and turns along the way.

If you look at my booklist, you’ll see I also wrote for Dell Ecstasy, a single title romance with Dell, Loveswept, and a romantic suspense with Kensington Books.

I wrote strict romance, humorous romance, romantic suspense, an action adventure, and my first love, paranormal romance, which I’m having a blast writing right now.
A writer's life is pretty solitary and thanks to the Internet, we writers can keep in contact a lot more easily. And a great way to keep in contact with our fans too.

During these years I’ve learned a lot, I keep on learning, and I’ve made some fantastic friends that I consider the same as family. I’ve also written a lot of books I’m very proud of and have a lot more books I hope to write. At least as long as my fans want my work.

But enough about me. What would you like to know?

Linda

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of photos you could add to your publicity pictures through the years. But being the gracious friend that I am, I'll let you make that decision. :)

    You're definitely right about the writer's life being a solitary profession until the internet proliferation of writer's groups that now allow us to share our joys and our disappointments with others who truly understand what it's like to be be an author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I've got some pictures too. Maybe I'll do that some time as a collage here.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete